Role: Architecture Owner
Arcadis Gen is continuing to hire across the world, with all interviewing and on-boarding completed remotely to ensure we maintain safe and secure operations. All new and existing Gen employees will work remotely until it is safe to return to our offices and workspaces. We are committed to flexibility and will continue to offer you, and everybody, the choices to work remotely and in ways that suit your lifestyle moving forward.
Arcadis Gen is the new SaaS business from Arcadis, SEAMS and EAMS Group; a start-framework and culture, backed by a €3bn+ revenue, 27,000-person, 70-country, 130-year-old company. We are bold, dynamic, and disruptive and are revolutionizing the future of digital asset management.
If you are interested in matching the freedom and opportunity of start-up life, with the stability and benefits of a market leading corporation, Arcadis Gen may well be the perfect place for you.
The Architecture Owner is responsible for the design of the software and hosting environments for our Software-as-a-Service app products and platform. They will guide the technical development of the platform, including its interaction with cloud hosting environments, working closely with the Product Owners to ensure that the capabilities of the products and platforms meet business and user requirements. The architect will be a leading figure in the development team, guiding the developers on technical matters.
The Architecture Owner will also work closely with other teams in Gen, including a close collaboration with other Architecture Owners and development teams. They will interface with the wider business to provide guidance on future SaaS projects, and provide technical input on cloud hosting and security. They will work with Gen’s existing team on company policies for software development and architecture.
What will you do each day?
System Design and Assurance: This is a core responsibility for the role. The Architecture Owner will produce high level system designs and data structures to satisfy business needs for the platform, whilst working with business stakeholders across several teams to ensure that the solution fits with the strategic goals of the business. They will also ensure the design accounts for cross-cutting concerns, in terms of security, data separation, translation, data sovereignty, ISO 27001, ISO 9001, etc.
They will work with the Product Owner and Lead Developer to specify product features by writing technical user stories to achieve the desired feature set and will produce prototypes and proofs of concept for software designs. During delivery, they will monitor the developed solution to ensure it matches the desired architecture.
Technology Selection: The Architecture Owner will work closely with the Lead Developer and other members of the Agile delivery team to select appropriate technologies for the platform and specify the design of public cloud components and infrastructure (including producing cost estimates when new systems or configurations are required). They will pioneer the user of new technologies to keep Gen on the cutting edge, including fostering the use of modern tools for test automation.
Define Standards: The Architecture Owner will promote software design patterns and standard ways of development to the software developers. They will be on hand to answer questions and assist with the continuous improvement of the development process. They will play a key part in supporting the Scrum Master in maintaining a healthy DevOps culture.
Support for Other Development Teams: The Architecture Owner will work closely with the associated teams, helping provide a unified way of working and overall architectural approach.
Collaboration: Collaborate closely with the multidisciplinary teams within Gen and extend to include partnering with a wide cross section of other groups from academia to start ups and the wider community at large. This role will work closely with wider ecosystem and platform partners to ensure Gen both generously shares and takes advantage of available leverage and synergies, to each party’s mutual benefit.
Who are we targeting?
Our ideal candidate will have a strong technical background and be highly experienced in understanding all the elements which contribute to successful technical delivery.
- 15+ years’ experience in IT with a core focus on software product development
- Fluent in English language
- In-depth knowledge of how to identify, size and manage technical delivery teams
- Excellent problem-solving skills, time management and organizational skills
- Strong Solution Architecture and implementation experience
- Strong understanding of Application Architecture, Project Management, and IT Service Management
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Ability to lead workshops, solution implementation, solution architectural reviews, technical documentation authoring
- Experience with a wide variety of project sizes and budgets
- Experience of Analytics, IoT
- Experience of various infrastructure types; cloud, on premise, PaaS (AWS, Azure)
- Strong knowledge of Agile, Scrum and ITIL
- Good understanding of working on hybrid solutions approach and continuous integration.
- Experience in both the Microsoft and Java stacks
- Experience in Enterprise Asset Management solutions
- Experience of the Transportation and Utilities industries
You should apply for this role if:
- You are passionate about digital transformation and disrupting industries
- You value diversity, hold an entrepreneurial spirit and test the limits of your potential
- You attempt the extraordinary, and are motivated to achieve and be better
- You are Bold, Agile and Focussed
- You are an optimist and believe in always finding a way
- You want to play a role on the global stage and influence the future of our industry
This role is not for you if:
- You dislike collaboration, and pursue individual goals over shared achievements
- You do not take responsibility, and prefer to hide behind others
- You do not want to be the best version of yourself whenever possible
Equal Opportunity Statement
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Arcadis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business need.